We are seeking to expand the number of people involved in CAPA to make it an even stronger, more collaborative, and more fun organization! The more parents involved, the better our support for ALL of the fine arts at WHS – both visual and performance – through special grants for equipment/supplies, support of arts honor societies, support of exhibits, concerts, shows, and field trips, and special recognition, like fine arts jackets and Fine Arts Awards night.
We are looking to fill the following roles:
College A Cappella concerts (fall and spring)
- Committee chair(s) – coordinate work of committee
- Ticket sales coordinator
- Committee members for PR, refreshments, and other concert help
- PR/Marketing coordinator – ongoing coordination for PR team
- CAPA mailings coordinator – mail CAPA brochures in early fall
- Writer – draft updates for school community on CAPA-sponsored activities
- Theater photographer
- Theater ticket sales at door
- Intermission snack sales – organize contributions, run sales
- Committee members for other general theater help
- Window dance troupe liaison
Fine Arts Night Coordinator - organize and coordinate team of helpers for event in June.
If you can join us, please contact us. Thanks so much for considering!
The Creative Arts Parent Association (CAPA), the only volunteer parents’ group committed solely to supporting and promoting the visual and performing arts at Wayland High School, announced its grant awards for this school year:
- Master classes
- Scholarships for music and art festivals (Senior Districts, Art and Music All-State)
- Fine Arts Night
- Fine Arts varsity-style jackets
- Art supplies: materials for glass projects, paint and matte board (so that the students can learn how to mat their own artwork)
- Guitar amplifier for jazz bands
- Conductor’s stand
- Piano bench and cover to keep the grand piano on the Main Stage in top condition
- Keyboard amplifier
- Korg electronic keyboard workstations – to start building a new Music Technology Lab to be used with the Apple computers
- Display cables for the visual arts, so that more student artwork can be displayed at WHS and around town (library and Town Building exhibitions)
- Calligraphy supplies and fabric/notions for visual arts projects
- Jazz keyboard case
- Three Yamaha guitars and supplies
- Microphone and USB port for listening lab
Three years ago, CAPA approved the following funding guidelines and has been using them ever since to evaluate grant proposals:
- CAPA expenditures support students and teachers in the WHS Fine Arts Department.
- CAPA funds should be fairly distributed across all disciplines (band, choral groups, orchestra, theater arts, dance and the visual arts) over time.
- CAPA supports creative initiatives / beyond-the-curriculum programs.
- CAPA funds should benefit as many students as possible.
- CAPA supports items that are outside the regular school operating budget; however, from time to time, CAPA will consider supporting items within the school operating budget.
Our main fundraisers are the college a cappella concerts, as well as the bottle and can drives. CAPA also sends out a mailer in the fall and accepts ongoing online donations.
CAPA sends out a very sincere THANK YOU to everyone who contributes to our efforts to keep the arts alive and well at WHS: by attending our a cappella concerts, bringing your recyclables to our Bottle and Can drives, sending in donations, and volunteering your time for CAPA events, fundraisers, and ongoing administration. We would also like to thank the fine arts teachers for their passion and dedication to our students.
Here are the minutes from CAPA’s monthly meetings for the past school year:
Plan to attend these great spring musical performances:
Choral Spring Concert
Monday, May 12, 7:30pm
WHS Main Stage
Band Spring Concert
Tuesday, May 13, 7:30pm
WHS Main Stage
Memorial Day Parade
Monday, May 26, Wayland Middle School to Lakeview Cemetery
Wayland High School and Middle School marching bands will march in the Memorial Day parade.
A Capella Club Concert
Tuesday, May 27, 7:30pm
WHS Main Stage
Jazz Pops Concert and Art Show
Wednesday, May 28, 7:30pm
WHS Main Stage and Commons
Featuring the jazz ensembles of Wayland High School and Middle School.
Monday, May 19, 6:30-8:00m
Home of Linda Smith, 171 Old Connecticut Path East
Join us as we enjoy snacks in an informal setting, vote on spring teacher grants, vote on next year’s budget, and welcome new and returning board members: Co-Presidents, Cindy Lewis and Kathryn Welter; Treasurer, Deborah Cohen; Secretary, Linda Smith; and Member-at-Large, Kirsten Robinson. We’ve changed the date so that parents can attend the band concert on May 13.
Please bring finger foods to share. Please contact us to let us know what you are bringing.
At 8:00pm, following our business meeting, CAPA parent, Dalyte Bernotas, will be available to showcase her CABI line of clothing. Stay to chat, look over the clothing, and enjoy snacks.
We hope to see you there!
Friday, June 6
8:00-10:00pm: Student Celebration
Longfellow Club, Oak Street, Natick
$5 donation per student
Calling all WHS fine arts students! The Creative Arts Parent Association (CAPA) presents WHS Fine Arts Night. As in past years, Fine Arts Night has two parts:
Awards Ceremony, 7-8pm
Families are welcome – Please bring a chair. We are saving money by not renting or hauling chairs, so this event will be standing room only, unless you bring your own seat. The Longfellow Club requests that chairs have rubber tips on the legs, to avoid damaging the court floors.
Student Celebration, 8-10pm
WHS Fine Arts students and alumni only. Stay after the awards ceremony and swim (bring your swimsuit), play basketball or just hang out. We have rented Longfellow for you!
Pizza and snacks will be served at $5 donation per student.
Parents: please consider helping to chaperone this event. Contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know if you’d prefer a shift from 8-9pm, 9-10pm, or if you can do the full two hours. We need both dads and moms.
Here are a few photo highlights from the WHSTE’s fabulous production of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, thanks to photographer Catherine Radmer. You can view the full album on Flickr.
Liam Fay as Gaston hams it up for the Villagers
Be Our Guest!
Belle (Tori Gitten) and the Beast (Isaac Greenawalt) bond over books
Saturday, May 10, 10am – 2pm
WHS parking lot
CAPA bottle sculpture
This whimsical sculpture on Old Connecticut Path is reminding you of CAPA’s (Creative Arts Parent Association’s) spring Can and Bottle Drive on Saturday, May 10. Bring your refundable cans and bottles to the Wayland High School parking lot between 10 am and 2 pm, and our eager volunteers will happily take them from your car. Proceeds from the redeemed bottles and cans will support performing and visual arts programs at Wayland High School. Clear out your garage and join us in this great fundraising event!
CAPA can accept any cans and bottles that carry Massachusetts deposits–soda, seltzer, beer, and other carbonated beverages. Beverage containers without deposits–sport drinks, still water, juices and the like–cannot be redeemed at this drive.
CAPA is the only volunteer parents’ group committed solely to supporting and promoting the visual and performing arts at Wayland High School. It awards grants for music, theater, visual arts and dance to support creative initiatives at the school.
For the fifth year in a row, the NAMM Foundation has named Wayland as one of their Best Communities for Music Education — one out of only 376 school districts in the US to earn this honor. Congratulations to the school administration, faculty, parents, students, and the whole community for their focus on music.
Do you know a special cast member, musician, or backstage crew member? For $1, send anyone involved in Beauty and the Beast a message accompanied by Hershey’s Chocolate Kisses, to be delivered by stage managers immediately after the show.
Sales happen before the show and during intermission. Proceeds go to the theater department.
Let those hardworking Wayland High School Theater Ensemble people know how great the show is!